The restoration and rehabilitation projects of the tilde mill “El Caño” are included in the proceedings carried out by the General Directorate of Coasts to recover the historical and industrial heritage. The mill is located in the mouth of Guadalete River in El Puerto de Santa María, in the province of Cadiz.
The recovery of the tide mill and its environment implies, besides its own heritage interest as Monument (it is part of the Cultural Maritime Heritage of Andalusia), the regeneration of the surroundings landscape where it is located. It means therefore not only to rehabilitate the monument, but to change the appearance of the entire currently spoiled environment. The General Directorate of Coasts instigates several interventions in order to encourage other authorities to transform these areas.
The required interventions are thus complex and varied, encompassing different fields of knowledge, moreover, the field and general scope of this geographic action not only concern to the tilde mill, but include also several annexed buildings and surrounding marsh areas.
The recovery project contains the following previous works:
- Description of Molino, from architectural and historical point of view.
- Auscultation and damage survey
- Mechanical and petrographic characterization of the masonries
- Planimetric surveys
- Historical review
- Environmental Study
- Diagnosis and technical report
- Establishment of the required actions to recover the Mill
- Machinery recovery
- Establishment of the complementary actions to recover the Mill
- Writing of the final project